top of page

Sand “bores”?

Updated: Feb 9, 2021

I’ve got a question that I’m hoping you might be able to help with, and the internet so far has been less-than-helpful. I notice in the Explorer charts and many other guides the use of the term “sand bore.” Explorer defines this on several charts as a “fluid, shifting, live sand bar.”

Can anyone shed some light on the origins of the term, or perhaps point me towards some reference materials? How exactly is a bore different than a “shifting sand bar,” a term often used on the same chart near the same feature? I know there are several geographic places where the term is used, but my question is mostly academic. What exactly is a sand bore?

Thanks in advance! Matt Claiborne s/v Dulcinea

186 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Explorer Website Online Again

Our apologies for any inconvenience to our Explorer Chartbook users. Our website has been down for the past week. We are grateful to be up and running again so that you can have access to our online i

Abacos Update 2/21

Our contacts in the Abacos have updated us on things our Bahamas Cruisers will want to know before they go. The Explorer Chartbook Near Bahamas 9th edition contains a more detailed update as of fall 2


bottom of page